Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Butterfly kisses

Always kiss your children goodnight, even if they're already asleep. ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

My dearest E.,

I kiss you each and every night before you go to bed. I kiss you early in the morning when you wake up and smile at me. I kiss you when I drop you off at your grandparents' house for the day. I kiss you when you squeal in happiness to see at the end of a long, tired day. I kiss you when you lie beside me and play with my hair. I want to kiss you all the time, hold you close to me and forever be entangled in your sweetness. And when you kiss me back, soft and wet on my cheek, my heart is suffused with immeasurable joy and happiness.

Think of my kisses as little hopes and wishes to guide you through your day. Take each kiss of mine and bury them deep within your heart. Blow those kisses on those around you to make their day a little more cheery, happier or sunny. Spread those kisses as you spread your love to others around you.

Here are the words to a beautiful song that your father and I both love. It's called "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle. Isn't this apt? You make us feel the way Bob's little girl does to him.

Butterfly kisses
There's two things I know for sure:
She was sent here from Heaven and she's Daddy's little girl
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night
She talks to Jesus and I close my eyes and
I thank God for all the joy in my life
Oh, but most of all
For butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair
"Walk beside the pony, Daddy. It's my first ride".
"I know the cake looks funny, Daddy, but I sure tried".
In all that I've done wrong, I must've done something right
To deserve a hug every morning
And butterfly kisses at night.
Sweet sixteen today
She's looking like her Mama a little more everyday
One part woman, the other part girl
To perfume and make-up from ribbons and curls
Trying her wings out in a great big world
But I remember
Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair
"You know how much I love you, Daddy, but if you don't mind,
I'm only gonna kiss you on the cheek this time".
With all that I've done wrong, I must've done something right
To deserve her love every morning
And butterfly kisses at night.
All the precious time
Like the wind, the years go by
Precious butterfly
Spread your wings and fly.
She'll change her name today
She'll make a promise and I'll give her away
Standing in the bride-room, just staring at her
She asked me what I'm thinking, and I said
"I'm not sure- I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl".
She leaned over, gave me butterfly kisses with her Mama there
Sticking little flowers all up in her hair
"Walk me down the aisle, Daddy- it's just about time".
"Does my wedding gown look pretty, Daddy? Daddy, don't cry!"
Oh, with all that I've done wrong, I must've done something right
To deserve our love every morning and butterfly kisses
I couldn't ask God for more, man, this is what love is.
I know I gotta let her go, but I'll always remember
Every hug in the morning and butterfly kisses.

No comments: