Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bookworm

"A room without books is like a body without a soul" ~ Cicero

My dearest E.,

You've developed into a regular little bookworm, just like your mother. As I write this, you're leafing through your hardcover Tinkerbell story book, talking to yourself, telling yourself the story I had told you over and over again. You tell a story with such earnest devotion, throwing yourself into Tinkerbell's character, intonating in your voice the high squeaks she is wont to make. 

You love your Glitter Books collection, a birthday present from Uncle James & Aunt Christine- every night, we read through the Little Fairy, Little Mermaid, Little Princess and Little Dolly together- we count the bluebells in the pictures, the fluffy blue and pink sheep, the little snowflakes falling across the meadows, the friendly frogs by the pond where the Little Fairy lost her magic wand. We lie in bed together, hair fanned out on our pillows like sunburst, as we rub noses and I tell you (again) the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Sometimes, you interrupt me, telling me what happened, and I can only smile with happiness, because you remember these tales with such vivid clarity.

You are a book-lover, a soul of wisdom blooming in your little mind and body. You marvel at my book collection- once day, my bountiful collection will be yours, and yours to keep... I cannot wait to pass them down to you and I know that you will enjoy them as much as I have. 

I am so proud of you, my little munchkin. You never see me watching you quietly as I do, when you read your books, and tell your stories to your toys. I smile, inside and outside, my heart aches a little bit, overflowing with the love I have for you.

Let the words nourish you, my sweet one. Let your imagination run wild in lands far beyond what we see. Be not afraid to dream.

No comments: